Tuesday, October 25, 2011

GOA'S PAID PIPER -- Paid political interview in Goa's Herald newspaper for Rs 86,400

“The phenomenon of ‘paid news’ has acquired serious dimensions. Today, it goes beyond the corruption of individual journalists and media companies and has become pervasive, structured and highly organized. In the process, it is undermining democracy in India.”

By Mayabhushan Nagvenkar
These are the grave opening remarks of the Press Council of India’s (PCI) report on paid news in the Indian media, in July last year. The report compiled by the PCI was based on the findings of its sub committee which pored through evidence, in form of published articles in newspapers both vernacular and English, which were suspected as ‘paid news’ content.

The four audio files and transcripts below go a step ahead. The conversations in these audio files with the marketing manager for both Herald newspaper, Goa’s leading English daily and Herald Cable Network (HCN) a cable news channel owned by the same media group, lays bare how a typical political paid news deal is struck, especially with elections around the corner. Many in the media and other informed sections of society, would already know that piety pouting newspapers across the country have been brazenly cracking ‘editorial content for cash’ deals, but these conversations show how easy it really is to crack a paid news deal in the Indian -- and case in point here -- the media in Goa.
Buying editorial space in a newspaper is almost as easy as walking up to a store counter and buying a change of underwear.

Here we have a reputed Goan media house welcoming paid news content and dishing out a rate chart for paid political interviews, both on behalf of its English daily news paper ‘Herald’ and for its sister concern, a local cable news channel, Herald Cable Newtork (HCN). 

It is necessary to mention here, that although I am a journalist by profession, I have undertaken this ‘paid news buster’ exercise, solely as a reader of the newspaper, which I subscribe to at home. That is one of the reasons why I chose this newspaper.

The other reason being that, Herald over the last few weeks has been running dubious interview after interview of ‘potential’ candidates for the forthcoming state assembly elections which are scheduled to happen sometime next year.

A source in the Herald informed me that money was being exchanged by the newspaper’s employees – both editorial and marketing – for publishing the political interviews.

I called up the Herald boardline on October 20 posing as Bernard Costa, a fictitious person wanting to contest assembly elections from the Velim assembly constituency in south Goa. On the same day, Herald had carried another dubious and suspected paid political interview of Raymond D’Sa, who had claimed that he vying for a Congress ticket for the Cortalim assembly seat and had wanted to “serve the poor and needy” (sic).

The receptionist at the Herald gave me the number to Tulsidas Desai 9822568376 – a marketing manager at the Herald. What unfolded between Tulsidas and ‘Bernard’ (i.e. me) is represented below in form of four audio files. They are unedited phone conversations, transcripts for which are also available. Here's audio file number 2. http://youtu.be/JjhIhQSCkTw

I have already dispatched a complaint to the Press Council of India, Election Commission of India, Goa Union of Journalists as well as several media blogs, journalists and concerned civil society persons, in order to put the information I had in the public domain and with the relevant authorities.

Tulsidas Desai
Keeping the current example in context, Herald is not the only news paper which has been institutionally allowing paid news content in Goa at the moment, but I put forth this case because I could establish a connection between the editorial content and the price that is to be paid for it. There are a couple of other vernacular newspaper published from outside Goa, who have already cracked deals with a young Congress minister and it is showing in the content. The newspaper’s editor and the vernacular newspaper’s very special correspondent is involved in this particular deal.

In the Herald case too, it would be naive to believe that a marketing manager, in this case Tulsidas, can push a deal like this without the consent, tacit or otherwise, of the editorial leadership of the newspaper.

Here in the case before you, the deal Tulsidas cracked with me was to publish my interview in the Herald for Rs 86,400 (for a fifteen inch and eight column spread) and on HCN, a half an hour interview thrice a day.(audio file number 3) http://youtu.be/8U8YBT7Tv6M

And the gall of these guys to tell the interviewee to drop by with a questionnaire himself!!!!
 
 
The things to look out for in this story are:

We are not just talking about paid news in the air here. When Tulsidas is asked about the rates for political paid interviews, he mentioned the Raymond D’sa interview published in the Herald on Oct 20 and the nearabouts price the newspaper got paid for it. Tulsidas is no novice intern at the Herald, he is a marketing manager and obviously knows the paid news rate card set by the newspaper.

Raymond’s was not the only published paid political interview in print. There are several other dubious article which have been publised by the Herald earlier, which should be looked into by the Press Council of India and the newspaper’s readers. Interestingly most of these interviews were carried in the same slot, on Page four top deck.
 
There was an interview of Sankalp Amonkar, a potential Congress candidate published on October 3 also carrying the same byline.

 There was Somnath Zuwarkar, another potential Congress candidate’s interview published on September 19

Another political hopeful Sameer Salgaonkar was interviewed on September 12.

Michael Lobo who is a potential BJP candidate from Calangute constituency has been interviewed on August 15

Tulio de Souza, son in law of former deputy chief minsiter Wilfred de Souza and also a potential election candidate from the Saligao constituency has already been positioned as a winner, in perhaps one of the most lopsided ‘constituency analysis’ segment.

Not too surprising, that all the potential candidates here have one thing common other than the fact that they have featured in Herald’s suspected paid news interviews. All of them are extremely rich folks.  

How the silver earned in exchange for the paid news interviews was shared, is anybodys' guess! 


P.S. If any media persons wants to run a story on this revelation, I could send across a zip file containing all the relevant details. I am on mayabhushan@gmail.com
P.P.S. Readers, who believe the paid news needs to be addressed can spread the story and the audio files around on mail and social networking sites. 
P.P.S. If you guy wish to take up the paid news issue with Herald and want to register your protest, feel free to contact the 'people's paper' and its reps on:

Board numbers
0091-832-2224202, 2224460, 2228083/ info@oheraldo.in
Editor in chief and owner Raul Fernandes 0091 9822100188
Editor Sujay Gupta 0091 9923057937
General Manager Michael Pereira 9822122304
Marketing Manager Tulsidas Desai 9822568376


ODDS AND ENDS: 
Youtube links to four unedited paids news audio files with transcripts if you click the "Show More" scroll: 

Paid News I
Paid News II
Paid News III
Paid News IV




Paid News quotation sent to me by Herald's marketing manager Tulsidas Desai from his official email ID (Please read bottom up)


from Bernard Costa bennygoa15@gmail.com
to TULSHIDAS DESAI <td@herald-goa.com>
date Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 1:04 PM
subject Re: Advertisement Proposal from H C N &
HERALD
mailedby
gmail.com
hide details Oct 22 (3 days
ago)
 

Ok ok I will come with the cash on Monday or Tuesday
- Hide quoted text -
 

On Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 1:02 PM, TULSHIDAS DESAI <td@herald-goa.com> wrote:
once we meet in our office will discuss on this.
 

On 22 October 2011 12:48, Bernard Costa <bennygoa15@gmail.com> wrote:
I got it Tulsidas. Thank you. I am happy with the rate you have quoted.
Just for clarity sake, I do not want it published like an advertisement or advertorial but
like a news interview so that your readers know it is news and not an ad.
Please revert on this point
and thank you again
Bernard
Viva Velim!
 

On Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 11:51 AM, TULSHIDAS DESAI <td@herald-goa.com> wrote:
To,
Dear Bernard,
with reference to our telephonic conversation about your projection as a part of your
election campaign first instance we will arrange to shoot your 30 minutes one to one
interview & will telecast 3 times within one particular day & will announce it on Herald
as a press note to drive peoples attention. We will bill you Rs. 50,000/- for the same as a
production & telecasting charges.
Besides as a part of same campaign we will arrange a space of 15 c.m. x 8 col. color advt
of your interview on page no. 2 on HERALD @ Rs.86,400/-. Payment to be issued in
advance.
--
TULSHIDAS DESAI
Manager - Marketing
HERALD & H C N
Mob : 9822568376
E-mail : td@herald-goa.com


TRANSCRIPTS I to IV


Paid News I - First Call
Transcript
Conversation with Tulsidas Desai, marketing manager Herald
Date: Oct 20, 2011
Phone contacted: 9822568376

Me: Hello
Tulsidas: Ya…
Me: Err… Mr Tulsidas
Tulsidas: Right
Me: My name is Bernard Costa, I am calling from Velim
Tulsidas: Velim ya…
Me: I am contesting elections from Velim… I want to and your office gave me your number
Tulsidas: Ok
Me: Er… I want an interview in the Herald.
Tulsidas: On Herald? Or HCN channel?
Me: On Herald… Herald…
Tulsidas:  Ok
Me: So how do I go about it?
Tulsidas: What kind of interview, because there are two types of interviews. If it a paid one editorial… advertorial interview can come.
Me: Ok how much will it cost me?
Tulsidas: If it is a quarter page in black and white it will be 36000 (rupees)
Me: Ok
Tulsidas: And if it is colour then it is double.
Me: Thirty six and double… Any discounts I can get?
Tulsidas: No.. 36000 is the net you have to give for black and white
Me: For an interview?
Tulsidas: For an interview
Me: And how do I make the payment, where do I make the payment?
Tulsidas: You can make the payment on Herald publications private limited
Me: Ok ok.. and this is a paid interview no? I can give you the questions?
Tulsidas: Ya ya you can give me questions.
Me: Ok ok
Tulsidas: This will be like a advertorial, advertising come editorial…
Me: No no like today you have interview no of er… my friend from Cortalim Raymond
Tulsidas: Ah Raymond D’Sa
Me: Like that I want an interview. Money is not a problem yaar, but how do we do it?
Tulsidas: Ok I’ll just I’ll just speak with my concerned people and get back to you on this
Me: ok fine ya ya..
Tulsidas: Bye




Paid News II - Second Call
Transcript
Conversation with Tulsidas Desai, marketing manager Herald
Date: Oct 20, 2011
Phone contacted: 9822568376

(phone Ringing)

Tulsidas: Hello
Me: Mr Tulsidas…
Tulsidas: Ya
Me: Bernard
Tulsidas: Ya tell me.
Me: I spoke to you today morning.
Tulsidas: Ya right what happened no… Time being I think it is very much costlier kind of thing which I got to know you know
Me: Ok
Tulsidas: It is in terms of more than lakhs of rupees kind of
Me: For one interview?
Tulsidas: Vhoi.. ya. That is what I heard, so I thought not to take kind of this thing. What I can help is that within a limited this thing... I can take a half an hour interview which will be shown three times on the TV
Me: No… on HCN no HCN is not very powerful, Herald is powerful no…
Tulsidas: But when your news will come on Herald that watch HCN today at so and so time for the one to one interview of your candidature.
Me: Actually money is not a problem, can you tell me how much so that I can prepare myself?
Tulsidas: No they are telling a huge amount that is what I am really thing this
Me: Approximate. Tell me approximate how much approximate na. If I am willing then I can might as well go ahead with it.
Tulsidas:  Best thing know they were saying is approximately two lakh (rupees).
Me: So Raymond’s interview was two lakh (rupees).
Tulsidas: Ya ya ya ya ya…
Me: Ok ok ok… Actually one interview I would not mind spending that much.
Tulsidas: Ok I will just check with them.
Me: Ya ya ya
Tulsidas: I’ll just get back to you…
Me: Ya ya ya ya.



Paid News III - Third Call
Transcript
Conversation with Tulsidas Desai, marketing manager Herald
Date: Oct 20, 2011
Phone contacted: 9822568376

Tulsidas: Hello
Me: Hello
Tulsidas: Ya Bernard
Me: Tulsidas I was traveling, I am sorry I missed you. Ya tell me.
Tulsidas: Ok.. This is what we decided no. What we can plan like you know. First we’ll do one to one interview on TV on HCN TV and after that episode next week, we can carry the same kind of write up… how it is appeared today no…
Me: In interview form.. I want in interview form so that people know no…
Tulsidas: Right… In that format only, how it has appeared today no
Me: And no advertorial no?
Tulsidas: Ah?
Me: No advertorial no
Tulsidas: Advertorial only
Me: But you are not going to say advertorial no?
Tulsidas: No… Today how nothing is mentioned no? Like that only…
Me: Ok ok.. and whom should I make payments and how much?
Tulsidas: See the HCN thing you have to make a payment of 50,000 thousand (rupees)
Me: Ok
Tulsidas: And this particular size for Herald, it will be 86,400 (rupees).
Me: 86400 for half page like it has appeared today.
Tulsidas: Actually it is not half page, it is fifteen centimeter height eight columns.
Me: I don’t know… its seemed like half page…
Tulsidas: No no no no
Me: It will be more than half page.
Tulsidas: No this is little lesser than half page… Todays… todays.
Me: Ok ok. And whom should I contact for the interview?
Tulsidas: No… if you come to… first you can prepare yourself with the questionnaire and all
Me: Ok ok
Tulsidas: And then we’ll fix up your interview in our studio in Panjim
Me: Ok.. hanh
Tulsidas: Ok HCN studio
Me: Yes
Tulsidas: And once that interview is taken with that only we can get question and answers positively for you benefit
Me: Ok ok
Tulsidas: and that will appear as a… your interview on paper
Me: Ok ok… and when can I make an appointment for this?
Tulsidas: This you can tomorrow…
Me: Sometime… I might be a little out over the weekend. So Monday maybe? Monday… Tuesday?
Tulsidas: No problem we’ll fix it on Monday Tuesday… no problem.
Me: And I will get to meet the editor and all with this no, so that I can also tell him what I am doing for this?
Tulsidas: No… that is what when your interview… one to one interview will be taken on the HCN channel, so that is from our editorial people only no?
Me: Ok ok ok ok
Tulsidas: Only you have to prepare from side which kind of questions you will like to answer comfortably
Me: I will come with a list of questions which will help project my image better for elections.
Tulsidas: No that is the reason. Monday you ring me up and I will fix up appointment for interview within a couple of days and before you come down here, you have to send me a soft copy of the questions
Me: So then Monday we do it for HCN and Tuesday Wednesday we can do it for Herald.
Tulsidas: Herald we’ll keep one four five days gap.
Me: Ya ya because it is not good immediately.
Tulsidas: It should not hammer the this thing no
Me: So I’ll get in touch with you on Monday or Tuesday
Tulsidas: No better you do one thing. Monday personally you come to my office
Me: Monday I will come to Panaji… You have been most helpful.
Tulsidas: Panjim Panjim… Our office is in Campal trade centre
Me: Ya ya I know, I came to meet somebody one day it is shifted I think now.
Tulsidas: Ya Campal trade centre it is
Me: Ya I will see you there. Thank you so much
Tulsidas: Ya…welcome bye
Me: Bye



Paid News IV Fourth Call
Transcript
Conversation with Tulsidas Desai, marketing manager Herald
Date: Oct 22, 2011
Phone contacted: 9822568376

Tulsidas: Hello
Me: Tulsidas
Tulsidas: Ya.
Me: Bernard
Tulsidas: Ya Bernard.
Me: How are you man
Tulsidas: Fine Fine
Me: Ok see I spoke to my campaign manager yesterday and he said he wants two interviews, one maybe this week… next week and one maybe four to five weeks later
Tulsidas: Interview
Me: On Herald. Two interviews for the same price that you mentioned. So that 86 (000) four hundred no?
Tulsidas: 86,400 right
Me: Into two.
Tulsidas: Ya ok         
Me: But I want them
Tulsidas: Monday you are coming no?
Me: Ya but can you just send me a quotation? A rough quotation?
Tulsidas: No.. Actually this kind of this no… this is like a editorial kind of things no, I cant mention on the paper you know
Me: Something yaar... so that I also have to show that somewhere no?
Tulsidas: Ok I’ll do that
Me: Take my email address
Tulsidas: You text me on this because I am driving.
Me: And er… listen how do I make the payment?
Tulsidas: You can make the cheque payment... that is no problem
Me: Cash is ok… because it is election expenditure and stuff like that
Tulsidas: No problem… no problem
Me: Cash I’ll come with cash
Tulsidas: Election expenditure you cannot put now no because election expenditure start in the code of conduct
Me: I have to make it my books also no somewhere?
Tulsidas: Ok ok
Me: I will come with cash on Monday… Monday or Tuesday. I’ll give you a call ya
Tulsidas: Ok
Me: I will just message you the email
Tulsidas: Ok ok


Glossary
Me: Mayabhushan Nagvenkar… Herald reader
Tulsidas Desai: Tulsidas Desai is a senior marketing executive who represents Herald newspaper and the Herald Cable Network
HCN: Herald Cable Network, a local cable news channel operating in Goa.
Herald: Goa’s leading English language daily
Bernard Costa: Mayabhushan posing as a fictitious individual who wants to contest elections from the Velim assembly constituency in south Goa.
Raymond D’Sa: A politician from the Cortalim assembly constituency who is lobbying for a Congress ticket and whose interview was published in the Herald on October 20.
Campal Trade Centre: A building complex located in central Panaji which houses the Herald office.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

noticed one name is common and that was ‘SURAJ NANDRERKAR’. in all the so called paid interviews.

Anonymous said...

Bhushan's Back, eh!. But then You have been a part of OHeraldo's setup so you know the usual suspects. Give us instances on The Times of India and Nav Hind Times too. We should know who to contact as Election Season is near.

PS. Timblos don't figure in any of Herald's anti-mining stories is that 'cos of Mr. Gupta's old loyalties as a part of TImblos ;)

XYZ said...

No comments are the best comments, because they are Anonymous

Claron Fidelis Mazarello said...

... i thought i was the only Galileo complaining against paid new ever since i took charge as the first sub-editor of Goa's first political cable channel ... i left never to return again within three months due to a lack of sincerety in news reporting .... it surely happens - everywhere - and thats nice work Mayabhushan ... because, this paid news thingy is becoming a business ... a done thing ... and it is clearly not ... it amounts to corruption and cheating and bending the truth .. we and all in the newspaper business are seemingly becoming as used to this as corruption ... it's becoming part of our existence ... THIS DEFINITELY NEEDS TO BE BROUGHT BACK TO A RIGHT PATH .... only sincere and honest journalism will change this ... is this too much to ask? Isn't journalism about truth ... well where does the truth feature in all of this i wonder ... u wonder too no? ... ha ... join the gang !

Anonymous said...

the story has fallen flat.... what happened no takers for the story.. only 4 comments... nothing.....i guess mayas 'maya' did not work???

M.K Rai

DJ said...

WOW!! This is a good piece no doubt.. But it’s kind of cliché to gasp at it anymore! We all know what this 'POPULAR' daily is capable of, Trust me when I say this... nothing is as it seems in that place. Politics maybe a watchword in most media / publications but at Herald/HCN its a few levels more than just Political influence, it’s an out an out exploitation of both resources & beliefs & a clear manipulation of the phrase 'A pen is mightier than the sword’.. I guess it’s about time we added the adage 'A pen is indeed mightier than the sword.. But your money can put any colored ink you want the pen to show'

Shame on these so called marketing Managers..

PS: I've worked with them for 3 years and I couldn't be more right about their status.